You’re not alone! Most people suffer from gum disease at some point. The best way to treat it is to know what causes it and to act on it.
So, what is gum disease?
Gum disease is an inflammation that affects the gumline around the teeth. It is caused by some harmful bacteria found in plaque, a sticky film that forms on our teeth daily.
Symptoms of gum disease include soreness, swelling and bleeding when you eat, brush or floss. If left untreated, it can cause abscesses, bad breath and tooth loss.
Gum disease has 2 stages
- Gingivitis – a red and swollen inflammation of the gums
- Periodontal disease – caused by untreated gingivitis – which weakens the supporting tissues that hold the teeth in place and can spread to the jawbone
Since gum disease develops slowly, you can take action to save your smile. However, it can be relatively painless, even while it worsens – so always maintain a thorough oral health routine.
6 ways to prevent gum disease
Ensure you remove all the plaque from your teeth daily by:
- Brushing teeth and gums with a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste for 2 minutes twice a day (including just before bed)
- Flossing between each tooth and under the gumline daily
- Using fluoride mouthwash after eating
- Choosing water and foods high in calcium over sugary foods, drinks and carbohydrates
- Stopping smoking
- Having regular check-ups with the dental hygienist
Gum disease treatments at Number 18 Dental
In the early stages of gum disease, your dentist or dental hygienist will probably give you a scale and polish and instruct you on how to clean your teeth effectively.
For more advanced cases, a process of intensive cleaning or even surgery may be required. You can read more about gum disease treatments at Number 18 Dental here.
I think I have gum disease – help!
Think you have gum disease? Don’t panic! Contact us at Number 18 Dental to book your next check-up and follow our 6 tips above for good dental health.